Our positions are filled. Thank you for your interest.
Art From Scrap has been an essential part of Santa Barbara’s arts community for over 30 years and has diverted thousands of pounds of waste from the Santa Barbara County Landfill. We are looking for a person to join our team who is energetic, focused, has a love of art, and is committed to protecting natural resources.
Art From Scrap Warehouse and Store Associate
Part-time, 20-25 hours per week. $14.00/hour
Reports to Creative Reuse Director
- Must be able to regularly lift and push 50 lb boxes, containers, bins, carts, etc.
- Must have a clean driving record and be able to drive a passenger van
- Must be able to climb a ladder, bend, reach, lift, and stand for extended periods of time on cement floor
- Be committed to “Reuse, Refuse, Reduce, Recycle” philosophy and earth-friendly practices
- Keep shop/warehouse/outdoor parking area and storage safe, clean, organized
- Maintain the space: Clean and organize store (sweeping, consolidating items, breaking down boxes, emptying trash, general upkeep and cleaning of store and bathroom)
- Create space in warehouse/store for new donations, rearrange store as necessary to accommodate new inventory
- Sort donations- clean and mend items as necessary
- Maintain shop records
- Drive van to recycling stations to deposit e-waste, recycling, and UCSB hazardous materials drop-off. Take items that AFS does not accept to thrift store
- Set-up and breakdown of Saturday and other Outdoor Sale tables, merchandise, carts, etc.
- Practice good listening and communication skills
- Follow directions
- Handle cash, check, and credit payments to store
- Use in-store Shopkeep Register app
- Become familiar with Shopkeep e-Commerce
- Learn pricing of store items
- Become familiar with store inventory and materials
- Assist customers in project design and creativity, utilizing creative reuse
- Become knowledgeable in Explore Ecology programs
- Create a positive, friendly, open-minded space for all who visit Art From Scrap
- Educate customers on what AFS does/does not accept as donations and give alternative sources, when possible
It is very helpful and valuable to have familiarity with art and craft supplies, tools, basic DIY, and creative reuse projects and ideas.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Tara. Your subject line should be titled: AFS Associate Position.
Take note: due to COVID-19 there may be some adjustment in duties, as the store is still temporarily closed and we are adjusting to ongoing safety and re-opening protocols as they occur.